Last Updated on
Modafinil is a drug that is sold under the Provigil brand name; it is a medication that is used in the treatment of sleepiness that is as a result of narcolepsy, shift work sleep disorder, and obstructive sleep apnea. Modafinil is an orally ingested drug, it is implied to be a cognitive enhancer, and there is research work that has not been concluded to prove the effectiveness of the modafinil. The drug is classified differently across the globe as a schedule 4 substance with fears of user addiction and other places it is classified as a prescription-only medication. It is mostly administered in the morning to treat sleep abnormalities and one hour before work to those experiencing work shift disorder. The quantity that is accepted is 200 mg and not to exceed 400 mg.
Is Modafinil legal?
The legality of modafinil varies from different countries; it is classified as a schedule 4 controlled drug; that is why it is illegal to buy or import without a prescription. Modafinil is placed among schedule 4 substance controlled due to the degree of its severity of user addiction and effects. It is safer compared to other drugs, but acquiring the drug is prohibited unless with the prescription.
- Other drugs have a high potential risk of substance abuse that might lead to addiction, but modafinil, on the other hand, has low potential, but it still can lead to addiction. Therefore, it has to be controlled to ensure the safety of the general public. The drug has been accepted for medicinal use in the treatment of brain disorders adjacent to other therapies.
- Modafinil is available to crew members whose work demands them to work during regular working hours. It is also used by astronauts who are on long-term missions. Modafinil increases the performance of people in these demanding jobs. In November 2012, it was the only drug that was approved to manage fatigue. It is legal to take the drug but under controlled conditions.
However, children are not allowed to consume the drug under all circumstances. Even though your kid experience abnormalities in sleeping habits, it is illegal to prescribe the medicine. Despite the drug being appropriate in fixing sleeping disorders in adults, it is a health hazard to children.
Its Legality in Different Countries
- It is considered to be a scheduled lV controlled drug in the USA. You can only obtain the drug if you have a prescription.
- You can use only the drug if you have a legal prescription from a licensed doctor.
- The drug is only available under a prescription.
- It is classified under F prescription drug. It’s a brand name in the country is Alertec, and you can only obtain the drug if you have a legal prescription from a doctor.
- It is possible to get the drug without a prescription as it is legal to possess and take modafinil in the country. In many Asian and Latin American countries, modafinil can be bought and consumed without a prescription.
Is it Legal to Buy Modafinil Online?
Modafinil can be acquired even online; therefore, contradicting other reports that it is illegal to purchase the drug. There are no reports that people have been arrested after buying modafinil online. The size of the purchase order is the only issue that is controlled by the vendor. The drug control bodies and customs agencies do not arrest the purchase of modafinil, but they seize the product as soon as it reaches the country.
- There are no policies and laws that have been passed to show that modafinil is illegal. Therefore this indicates that the drug is not, but an individual requires the clearance of the DEA to acquire a prescription to purchase the drug. It is only prohibited to sell the drug to other people who do not have an order. Modafinil cannot be acquired as an over the counter drug due to the regulation by the government, therefore, making it so difficult to get the drug.
Modafinil is not placed in the same category as other banned drugs like cocaine and heroin, among other drugs like amphetamine drugs like Adderall and Ritalin. However, there is some level of regulation for modafinil that prevents pharmacies from distributing the drugs from there counters. Ordering a small amount of modafinil for personal use would not attract the attention of law enforcers, but the intention of wanting to distribute the drug to the general public will land you in problems with the law.
Bottom Line about Modafinil Legality
The regulations and restrictions do not prevent people from buying and using the drugs nor distribution of medicine. The drug exists in what is referred to as the “grey market.” It is not rigidly illegal, but one has to put a lot of effort and pull some strings to find modafinil. The law has eyes everywhere, and they do not work well with things that conceal their transactions. The rules will still pursue you anywhere you go to try to get the drug since the law is working all the time to block the trafficking of illegal drugs like cocaine and marijuana.